Tuesday, April 1, 2008

PLN 7

I read an article called, “Teenagers as “Teamagers”…What do You Think?” by Will Richardson which was discussing how working in groups can be more productive than alone. The idea that I was getting from this was two brains are better that one, or three, or five, or ten. Working in a group is a way that tasks can get done more efficiently.
This relates to me because well honestly I am not a huge fan of the group work anymore. The reason is because I find myself doing all of the work, and not because I want to, but because I am the only one that will. Recently I have been in numerous group projects where I have done majority if not all of the work, and my partner(s) receive credit for my hard work. Though there have had times where a group project has worked wonderfully. Everyone had a job got it done, and we all were able to discuss our ideas and collaborate them. So I suppose it really just depends on who you are working with. Obviously that is how it relates to me at school, because most of my group work is based around school. In all of my classes we have had an assignment at one time or another where we had to partner up or get into groups. Like I said before I have had great results, and not so great results, but it has definitely helped me learn to work with others and learn from those situations.
Working in groups has really prepared me for the world, and my future. I plan to get a job and unless I am running my very private own business I am going to be working with people. That means working people that I may not get along with and people that will not pull their own weight. So working with these types of groups now good and bad is good “practice”. People all over the world are constantly working together trying to get a task completed. Whether that task being a group of constructions workers building a tall skyscraper, or a band playing in harmony to please a crowd, everyday people are working together as one. That is what community is all about, helping each other and living as one no matter how independent out country may be. That is how working together not just on school projects as a teenager, but completing tasks as a hole is a magnificent idea.

No comments: