Sunday, April 6, 2008

PLN 8

I read an article called, "Revealing Your Inner Superhero" written by David B. Bohl which was talking about how people fear failure too much so that it keeps them from trying. I found this article very facinating and creative in the way that almost everyone at one point or another has maybe not wanted to be a super hero but at least wanted to be someone better than they are now. Instead of being a plumber, wanting to be a lawyer, or instead of making JV football, wanting to be the quarterback on Varsity, everyone wants to be at least a little better or more successful at something in their life. So what is holding them back from fulfilling these goals? Fear. The fear of losing, the fear of that embarassment and dissapointment. This is the fear that we need to get over to succeed at life.
For me I am constantly doubting myself thinking I am just not good enough to do something. I was afraid I would not be smart enough to be in an honors class this year which kept me from even trying out. I was afraid my times just were not fast enough in swimming which also prevented me from trying out. Both of those I regret not doing now because I never even gave myself a chance to at least try. People all over are always making the same mistake I made out doubting themselves and not having enough faith in themselves. Maybe in sports someone did not think that they could make that final shot at the buzzer and lost the game. Or, a doctor not trusting that they could have much success in a dangerous procedure and never knowing if that life could have been saved. Not saying to take careless choices, but just believe in yourself a little bit more in life, and you will see how much of a difference it will make.

No comments: