Wednesday, April 30, 2008

PLN 15

I responded to Jeff Utecht's blog called, "Back from Digital Darkness 2008". He was writing about his experience from going "Screen Free" for a week, and how this made him reflect on how much he uses technology.

Reading things like this just makes me realize how obsessed the world has become with technology. Maybe we have to be constantly involved in technology because it is the future. To keep up with society you have to always be involved in the new trends and technology is the biggest trend of all. Sometimes I don’t think it is really our decision to be so attached, sometimes a cell phone or email is the only way to communicate. Or a lot of my assignments in school require me to use a computer, so what am I going to do, say “No, I can’t finish this project because I’m trying to distance myself from technology.” Yeah I don’t think my teachers would be too happy with that response.
Then again some of this attachment is all free will, (even though no one can really make you use technology) choosing to check your web page, like MySpace or a FaceBook is completely optional. Or texting your family member that dinner is ready instead of walking those few steps to tell them yourself. I also liked how you pointed out that technology isn’t going anywhere, because I think that many people feel that if they don’t constantly check the internet for the latest news and updates in technology then they will miss it. As you put it,
“There is nothing that happened last week that is not there for me this week to
learn. There is nothing that happened last week that I can not search and
find out about. What I have come to understand is the web waits for you.”
That is such a brilliant and true statement, obviously technology is here to stay, that is until we discover the next big thing, but we have all the time to learn and do what we will with it. We all need to learn to not let technology control out life, and know that it is possible to live with out it, even for a week.

1 comment:

mmg said...

Kelly, you did and awesome job on your presentation. You had lots of eye contact with the audiance and you also had some really interesting articles. Keep up the awesome work!