Wednesday, October 31, 2007

PLNweek-8 post-15

The title of a post called "Not Your Parents' Parent-Teacher Conference" caught my eye so I started to read it. In this blog by Karl Fisch it was saying how teachers are frusterated with how conferences are handled. He was saying how it seems like all these parents are focused is the grade and not the actual learning, I believe this as well.

Though my mom was unable to go the conference when she does go she thinks that it can sometimes be a waste of time. Experiences in the past have been my mom goes sits down, the teacher pulls out the grade book name some missing assignments maybe show a project or two and then it's on to the next teacher. All of that information my mom could have found on line or in my binder so that was a pretty pointless "conference". That's is why I was very releived to hear that other teachers felt this same way.

As Mr. Fisch mentioned my teacher Ms. Smith tried something different this year to actually try and make these meetings more meaningful. She had us write up a response to our learning, some goals we would like to achieve (not just grade wise) and a letter to our parents. Our parents would then take this to the conference and this is what they would discuss. I think that this made a huge difference and really acheived the real point of these conferences.

No comments: