Monday, October 8, 2007

PLNweek4-post8

I read an article called “School as a Node” and as I was reading this the author kept using the word “node”. Well, I had no idea what this word was so I looked it up and the definition I found was, “a centering point of component parts.” This still didn’t make a whole lot of sense but as I looked at some other definitions the idea I got from this word is that it’s a sort of joint of stable part that is linked to other moving parts that need the node to move.

As I read on in the article it started to talk about how school isn’t our only source of information and knowledge. I totally agree with this thought. Probably only 70 % what I learn comes from school, and that other 30 comes from everywhere else in life. For me I learn many important lessons from my family and friends. I learn determination and strength from exercising, I learn forgiveness and serving from church, love and care from my mom. So a lot of what I learn isn’t coming from the classroom.

In the world it is the same thing. Other kids and adults get their knowledge from other sources. Like sports and family like I mentioned, and work, for adults. When people limit themselves to just school they aren’t really getting all of the knowledge as possible. It’s like when I looked up the word “node” if I had limited myself to just one definition I wouldn’t have fully understand the word or probably the entire article.

No comments: