Sunday, October 21, 2007

PLNweek-6 post-12

In an article I read called “Supplementing my Kids" at http://weblogg-ed.com/2007/supplementing-my-kids-education, written by Will Richardson who is a concerned father that his kids aren’t getting as much education as possible. He feels that they are learning more things that are already passing us and not enough on what will really help them in the future. Though school has changed a lot over the years I feel that it may still be slacking a little in keeping up with our faster changing world.

Will also mentioned how many worksheets his kids get every week. I can totally relate to this. Sometimes it seems like we get worksheets just to keep us busy, teachers say they are practice, but then so is homework, and quizzes, and other class work. So is all we are ever doing is practice? That seems like very stagnant learning. All these worksheets and notes just seem like busy work, I hardly actually learn from them, getting answers from a book or notes doesn’t really help me.

Another thing he talked about how there is a lack of connecting in schools. So much of our work is individual and tedious. When I personally learn the most is when I react to others, and discuss with others. Sometimes this doesn’t always work because there will always be those kids who don’t want to participate, and will just do what everyone else is saying, and just copy other kids answers. But that’s their own decision not to learn, and engage themselves in the discussion or work.

No comments: