Monday, November 12, 2007

PLNweek-9 post-18

After hearing Berek’s presentation on Friday and him talking about a post that caught my attention I decided to read that article and use it for my PLN. The article was called “Do schools have Birth-control role?” Which was talking about the controversy of schools taking part in birth-control for their students.

Six different Denver schools are already taking part in handing out birth-control pills to students. They say that teenagers are sexually active so it is better to have them be protected. People that are for this idea say that it will drastically lower the dropout rate in schools. I don’t think that this is a wise idea. To me school staff handing out these pills are encouraging teens to have sex. Some kids might now think oh because even my school is basically saying its ok to do these things just as long as I’m not going to get pregnant is a bad message.

I think it is ridiculous to have this going on in middle schools too. Some middle school students are only 11 going into 6th grade and that is way too young to even have a boyfriend or girlfriend I think, so to give out birth-control pills to these young kids is outrageous.

I think that it is the students choice to do these things and their responsibility to be protected, and if they can’t handle that they are definitely not old enough to start being sexually active. Overall teens this young should not be having sex, and schools should not be encouraging that kind of behavior!

No comments: