Wednesday, November 7, 2007

PLN week-9 post-17

In this article I read titled “First Impressions” by Scott McLeod on his blog site; http://www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2007/11/first-impressio.html was talking about encounters he had with some people and his impression of them. He was talking about first impressions have such a huge positive, or negative effect on things.

Obviously the main subject of this article was first impressions. It related to me because he was talking about school receptionists and secretaries who send out a very careless and atrocious attitude about the school. I have also noticed this when I go into schools main offices and get treated rudely. They usually will ignore me for quite some time while they are continuing their conversations about how they can’t wait to get out of there and go home, or how annoying a student was earlier that day. Now I’m not saying that all school workers are like this but when they are it sends off such a negative vibe about the entire school. If they are saying how they can’t wait to leave than it makes you wonder what is so bad about this school that makes them want to go home? Or if they are discussing a student will that be me they are talking about next?

Also just simple things that I see in other places to like stickers or signs saying rude comments like ‘I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn’t look good either.’ This was a quote that Scott had mentioned seeing on a sign in a teacher’s office as well. Though these things are meant for humor, should a person have that at their desk if they are a psychiatrist? These kinds of statements can be taken in the wrong way and are unnecessary to have in a respectable work place. These are some of the feelings that I have on first impressions.

No comments: