Monday, November 26, 2007

PLN week-11 post-21

For my PLN I read a post called, “Allowing Re-Takes To Improve Student Learning” by a Biology teacher named Craig. He was talking about how he makes his exams re-testable if a student receives less than a 80% on the test. He says that the reason for this is to make sure that the student fully understands the concept of what they are learning.

I personally have mixed feelings about being able to retake a certain test. Sometimes I think it is unfair because there will be some students who will get an “A” the first time they took the test because they really tried and studied. Another student may have just blown off studying knowing that they would have a second chance.

This teacher though has a rule that you have to go to this meeting, or review session to make sure that they will understand the subject the second time taking the test. I think that this is a good idea because at least you know that they are trying a little more the next time.

This relates to the world because this kind of has to do with second chances. It reminds me of driver’s tests. I don’t know all the laws and rules but I’m pretty sure that if you don’t pass the first time you can just keep retaking the test. I bet if they didn’t have this rule that a lot less people would be receiving their license or permit. I don’t know if this is such a good idea because if someone has to take a test 20 times than they probably don’t understand the information needed to know, and know they are out their driving risking the lives of others and themselves

No comments: