Thursday, September 20, 2007

PLN week2-post4

In an article on denverpost.com was telling about a 3-year old boy who was attacked by his grandmother’s Rottweiler. The attack happened on Wednesday morning at the grandmother’s home. Police report stated that the dog had the boy by the torso and was “thrashing him back and forth”. The young boy is now in intensive care at Children’s Hospital. What a horrible thing to go through at such a young age, or at any age. I hate hearing about dogs attacking people or each other. There is big controversy over dog fighting but that’s a different story. We already have enough violence going on with humans we don’t need our pets to cause anymore.

Some people say that some dogs are just born vicious, like Pit bulls and Rottweilers; I on the other hand believe that you can train a dog out of its “meanness”, but if treated badly they will rebel. I think there are laws in some areas prohibiting some certain breeds of dogs. Some dogs I don’t think are suitable for some situations. At my dads apartment complex one of his former neighbors had two Pit bull. I saw them once and though they did not look incredibly vicious they still were not allowed there and I was actually relieved to see them go. I’m not saying that just those types of dogs are prone to violence. My dog; Shelby, was attacked by one of our old neighbors dogs who had known Shelby for a while, it just goes to show you that you have to always be aware of your dogs behavior.

The main point of this story (the what matters) was one; what dogs are violent, and two; what the punishment should be for this kind of behavior. The known and used punishments consist of: up to 199$ in fines, 90 days in jail, in addition to the dog being put to sleep. Though I think it’s very sad when an animal is put down or killed, sometimes I think it’s just what has to be done. Like I said before, we already have enough violence in this world as it is, and can’t risk having anymore due to animals.

No comments: