Thursday, September 13, 2007

PLN week 1-post 2

In a an article I read on http://fischbowl.blogspot.com called “All Work and No Play…” it discussed on how adults are giving children more “adult work” then they should have. I don’t think any kid should have any adult work to do, that’s what separates us. That’s not always the case whether it is at school, in sports, or even at home kids and teenagers are getting way too much for them to handle in my opinion. People will argue well we are getting them prepared for the future…what about now?! Yes, the future will come but until then let us live!

In class we read a short story called “The Scarlet Ibis” its theme or the “what mattered” was expectations. It made me think about expectations that adults have on kids these days. Everyone says we are the new generation in learning and when we are older we will become the most successful people in the world… umm I’m just trying to pass 9th grade English. I have always heard from my parents, teachers, and coaches to always set your goals high, and I completely believe in that. However, I think there is a difference in having high goals and having appropriate limits. Sports these days are very, very competitive! It seems like it’s not for the fun anymore, even though they are still called games. Yes, you should push yourself hard, but it is as if coaches and parents are pushing kids too far. Should we really be working so hard to make our self sick? At a soccer camp over the summer we were running so hard I had an asthma attack. Is winning a game really worth risking my health, or even life?

It also mentioned about how adults are getting children ready for the “real world”. Isn’t this the real world? Isn’t socializing with peers, learning, growing, working, and enjoying life the real world? If it’s not, then I don’t know what is. I agree that adult life is much more challenging than when we are kids and even teenagers, but they just have to trust us that we will cope with that lifestyle when we get there. Am I saying just let us figure out everything on our own and completely step back? NO! Adults are the supporters of a healthy growing childhood. A good example that I think of is when you see a baby tree with metal poles tied to it that are firmly in the ground. Grown-ups have themselves firmly set in place in life (or at least they should and hopefully do) and kids don’t. They are there to help us stay up and get our roots in the ground, but they aren’t the ones doing the growing, we are!

No comments: