Sunday, March 2, 2008

PLN 1-sem2

For our first PLN for the second semester I as usual went searching for an article that caught my eye and I did. “What Do We Know About our Kids’ Futures? Really.” written by Will Richardson which was another post on yet again what the future holds. It seems that everyone is discussing and almost worrying about the future, our future, that is the future of the children. He was saying how we really do not know what the future holds and I don’t think we can ever really know what the future will be like until we are present in the future. That is how it always has been, if you would have told somebody 20 years ago that 9th graders will have their own laptop in class that person would have probably thought you were crazy. That is a big way that this effects schools, new technology is being put into classrooms to try and inform the young people today to get them ready for tomorrow.
The future is so unpredictable that I honestly do not understand why people are putting so much effort into trying to figure out what the world will be like 50 years from now or 30, or 20 years or even 10 years from now. You can never really know what will happen until it happens. This relates to me very much because I am the future that everyone (the adults) are making a big deal about. I am the innovated and unpredictable future that will change the world. But the problem is I do not think that I have the information needed to really prepare me for that future, and I don’t think that anyone will be able to give it to me.
This goes to how adults are preparing us for this new world that we are entering. What I wonder is how can they teach us something that we have yet to create. How can a teacher give a student a text book on all of the information we need to be successful in life if we are the ones that will be setting the tone for success in our day and age. They will only be giving us information on how to be successful in their time, which will only slow us down and not help us prepare for the future. It is almost a hopeless feeling knowing that you can not really do much to help us for the future, but I see it as challenge. This is the opportunity for us the youth of the world to create our own society, improve the things we don’t agree with, and truly change the world.

No comments: