Tuesday, May 13, 2008

PLN 19

For this PLN I read an article on Roger's Personal blog called, "Retakes" which clearly discussed whether retakes for students should be offered or not.

Mr. Hess,
None of my teachers allow retakes on almost anything and I wish that sometimes they would. I believe that I am a hard working student, but sometimes I can just totally bomb a test on account of either being nervous or just unsure about a topic. Therefore retakes on tests could be very helpful in saving a grade sometimes. Then again like you were saying many students’ grades wouldn’t even change from the first test to the second test showing that not much of an effort change was made. Honestly if someone gets a very low F on a test chances are they aren’t going to get an A on the retake because obviously they were missing a big portion of the knowledge needed. Still a retake could make the difference from a C to a B which is a pretty big difference, and if that did happen that shows that there was more studying and a bigger effort in the retake than in the first test. So, then the question remains is it a good idea to have retakes available to those students that truly will try harder the second time around, or just eliminate that option and not deal with the hassle of the students whose performance remains poor on the tests? Honestly because I am not a teacher I can’t really say what I would do in that situation but as a student I think that retakes should be available because there are those students like I said who will really use that opportunity to improve their grade.

No comments: