Wednesday, December 5, 2007

PLN 24

I read an article called “Why are kids failing?” by Mrs. Davis which was very relevant to me and most of my classes. The thing that mattered in this blog was obviously why are so many students getting bad grades, even with so many opportunities to excel?! Even though I’m only a student and not the teacher who has to deal with these students and write down the grade in a grade book, I’m still pretty puzzled by this.

This relates to me because in almost all of my classes I have had my teacher give the whole class lectures on how poor some kids are doing and how they really need to bring up their grades, but it just doesn’t seem to get through to anyone! I honestly think that kids are just lazy and so oblivious to the harm they are doing to their high school career. One of my friends was or maybe still is failing all of her classes and said to me “did you know that if you fail a class you don’t get credits? You have to like retake that class! Uh-oh I had not idea.” I knew this and that’s why I try so hard to keep my grades up and good. I wonder if a lot of these kids are like my friend, they don’t even know what the consequences are going to be like…maybe they do and just don’t care. Whatever the reason I don’t think there is any excuse not to keep your grades at least a C level.

This relates to the world, mainly in schools because I’m sure that other students are failing classes too, its obviously not just Arapahoe! But teachers give their students so many opportunities to get help and even make up the work they have missed and some people just don’t want to pass their grade I guess. Every time I see a junior or even a sophomore in my class I kind of feel bad for them, but then again it was their choice to do bad the previous year, that encourages me sometime to do good in class because I don’t want to have to retake a freshman class all over again, and I definitely don’t want to have to go to school in the summer!

No comments: